Yesterday the mystery project was revealed – we painted the plywood subfloor in the outdoor room! Here’s what we did from start to finish.
I chose Benjamin Moore Porch & Floor paint in Patio White for the floor. It’s an oil paint, which wasn’t too bad to work with because it’s an outdoor room and there’s lots of ventilation. Although the Benjamin Moore guy told us we didn’t have to prime the bare wood (and we believed him), in retrospect we probably should have primed because it might not have taken us 3 coats of paint to get the coverage we wanted. Anyhoo.
First we took up the ceramic tile and old carpet, revealing the subfloor underneath.
Then we took off the baseboards that are along one side of the room and wood filled the cracks and divets in the subfloor.
Then it was time to sand down the floor and shop-vac all the dust and debris up:
Next we taped up the walls, which I think might be cedar channel siding in a rough finish (the cedar is going to need to be stained again but that is another mystery project for another day):
And then we cut in along the sides and painted the floor with a roller three times. Three!
That left us with this, which feels very summery under bare feet and is much easier to clean:
And one of these days I’ll take a photo of the view in the other direction, where you lie in the hammock or sit in the chair and look out over the garden instead of at the fence. Imagine that.